Today I made lunch and took it to my wonderful husband at work. It was fun. On the menu: tuna salad (yum!) on lightly toasted rye bread (yuck!) with fresh cantaloupe, some scrumptious cheddar cheese, and a few cheetos. I realized after everything was pack that it was all orange with the exception of the sandwich itself. Quickly, I tried to come up with an orange alternative but happily settled with what was already made.
Our visit was nice. The picnic table was already occupied so we drove down the block and found a big shade tree to sit under. We talked and laughed through his much-too-short lunch break. All I could think about was how lucky I was to be sharing my life with this guy. Sure, he has his faults but I have mine to balance those out. Besides, I don't think I could handle being married to someone who didn't make me nuts every now and again. ;)
As I dropped him off, he told me to listen to a song because it was about me. All I could do was smile. Not because I didn't have anything to say. Rather, because I didn't know how to say everything I was feeling. Given the lyrics, this was just one more demonstration of how much he loves me.
On my way home I listened to the sweet words and fought back tears. In that moment (and this moment now), my heart was so full. So full of love and thanks. Thanks that I have the opportunity to live my life with this nutty, nutty goon. Thanks that we get to raise a family together. Thanks that he loves me and supports my dreams. Thanks that he encourages me to be the very best I can be every single day. Thanks that he tells me "how it is" despite the (not so scary) glares I may or may not offer.
I went on to think about how this summer will mark four years since I moved away from home and started this life in Sonoma County. I remembered thinking knowing that I would get married during this move. I also remembered a whole slough of feelings I experienced between now and then: fear, excitement, relief, frustration, even pure joy. Fear of the unknown. Excited of the possibilities. Frustration that things weren't happening the way I'd like or at the rate I'd prefer. Pure joy that my dreams were becoming reality.
I cannot promise to be perfect, to never upset him or to always keep the kitchen clean. However, I can promise that I will always love him, that I will always scratch his back, be his ally and friend, put band-aids on his boo-boo's and be the very best mother to his children that I can be.
Jackie:
ReplyDeleteThis is why I love you, because you love him! I was so worried he would never find someone who could do that. Thank you :)! And this is what marriage should be, you love each other AND drive each other nuts sometimes, but the end result is a desire to be together forever, no matter WHAT life brings your way. If the two of you weren't each so . . . ummmm . . . determined, one of you would get flattened. Thanks for sharing. I love you. Mom :D
Ditto what Mom said. xoxo
ReplyDeletePS what was the song? A few months ago Jeff did the same thing to me. He told me that I needed to hear the new Rascal Flatts song (I Won't Let Go). I finally heard it on the radio a few weeks ago on my way home from my Zumba class and cried the whole way home. Things have been tough around here lately and the fact that he heard that song and said that it was his song for me right now... I cry every time I hear it! Isn't it so neat when husbands do stuff like that?
Jackie,
ReplyDeleteThis is adorable. You two are so cute and perfect for each other! I love you both!
Jen- I know how you feel. Mike finds songs that always sweep me off my feet or bring me to tears. He really knows how to tug those heartstrings!
gosh if it wasn't illegal (and yes kind of gross lol ) I woulda married one of my brothers!
ReplyDelete